In last week’s post, we introduced you to seven key reasons not to miss out on an Awe Star mission trip this summer (or this spring—our Mexico Spring Break Trip’s coming up soon!). Today, we present seven more reasons not to stay home from the mission field.
1. Church Connections: In every village, city or region where Awe Star works, we’ve established connections with local pastors. We’re not just winning the lost and leaving them to disciple themselves. We do our best to share names and contact information so every new believer can connect with a local congregation.
2. Language Learning: Awe Star works closely with local translators, and we perform our drama to a track in the language of the people wherever we work. But because we interact with so many nationals, you’ll have the opportunity to work on your Spanish (or Swahili, or Hungarian, or another language!) every day.
3. Cross-cultural Experience: As anyone who’s traveled overseas knows, the cross-cultural experience includes much more than language. We don’t stay in North American hotels transplanted to other countries or eat at McDonald's every day. We work with nationals, we stay in youth hostels, churches, university dorms or local hotels and we have local cooks. Our national hosts often introduce us to history, customs and other elements of their culture that add unique flair and flavor to each mission trip.
4. Worship: Since one of the four “Awe Factors” is worship and because worship makes us stronger, Awe Star makes sure each team spends time in worship every day. If you have gifts in music ministry, make sure to let your team know. Team worship time stands as one of the most popular elements of our mission trips, year after year.
5. Significant Tasks: A significant task, according to Awe Star Founder and President Dr. Walker Moore, is something you do that gives you worth and value in the eyes of those who matter to you. Every day of every trip, you’ll have the opportunity to perform tasks that matter to your teammates, from carrying their water to giving your testimony to leading in prayer for your ministry team and more. And of course, each Awe Star missionary shares in the most significant task of all: taking the gospel to the ends of the earth.
6. Relationships: When you share experiences such as bouncing over miles of dirt roads, hiking through the jungle, sailing across a clear blue lake, and pouring out your hearts to one another, relationships build. Friendships that might take months or years back home become tight bonds in a matter of days or weeks. There’s a reason we call it the Awe Star family!
7. Heartbeat of Obedience: Those with a heartbeat of obedience have laid their yes on the altar. They’ve promised to give Jesus their all so that anywhere, anyplace, anytime they will do whatever God says. Do you have a heartbeat of obedience? What is He asking you to do with your time, talents and treasure? If you need help figuring it out, please call us at 1-800-AWE-STAR. We’ll be glad to pray and help!
What reasons NOT to go MIA would you add to our list? Feel free to share in the comments or on social media!
You’ve prayed. You’ve read our materials. And you’re still not sure. Today, we thought we’d make it a little easier for you by giving you a few quick reasons you don’t want to go MIA (Missionary InActive) this summer:
1. Fundraising: Awe Star makes fundraising as painless as possible with provisions for online giving, ideas for how you can raise the money and the experience of more than 25 years of taking students overseas. Where God guides, He provides—we’ve seen it over and over again, and we’ll be glad to help you experience it too.
2. Training and Debriefing: We don’t send you out on the mission field unprepared, and we don’t let you re-enter your home territory unprepared, either. Awe Star bookends your trip with time at Awe Star University (missionary training and equipping ) and debriefing (missionary exit strategies and preparation for continuing to live a missionary lifestyle).
3. Rite of Passage: An Awe Star mission trip is more than a mission trip. Before we ever leave the country, we ask students to lay down their adolescence and step into emerging adulthood. This means that on your trip, you’ll be given adult tasks and adult responsibilities as you learn to live the lifestyle of a missionary. It also means your life will never be the same.
4. Real Discipleship: On an Awe Star trip, you’ll spend time with God every day. You’ll have a guided quiet time and be encouraged to share what you learn in a journal and with other members of your team. You’ll experience times of teaching and learning.
5. ManUp/ReignOn: Awe Star has become known for helping students gain a biblical view of identity, including gender. ManUp/ReignOn groups focus on tough topics in a safe setting. Awe Star trips also provide students with the opportunity to practice serving one another as true brothers and sisters in Christ.
6. Gospel Focus: Every aspect of an Awe Star trip is designed around building gospel-centered relationships. Whether you’re checking in patients at a medical clinic, helping build huts in the jungles of Panama or performing as part of the “Freedom” drama, you’ll have the opportunity to share your faith.
7. Missionary Mandate: Jesus left us with what we call the Great Commission (Matt. 28:18-20): to go into all the world and make disciples. In other words, He’s already told you to go (and keep on going). Before you stay home this year, make sure He wants you there.
But wait ... there's more. Tune in next week for 7 more reasons not to go MIA! And call our office (1-800-AWE-STAR) if you need help working through your decision. We'll be glad to pray and help.
What can $25 get you these days?
You’re investing in eternity.
In August 2018, I got the privilege to step into the servant ministry role as president of Awe Star Missions. It's been an amazing ride, and God is continuing to grow, expand, develop and enlarge this incredible ministry right before my eyes.
Maybe you're asking, "What is Awe Star Missions?"
Awe Star Missions is a not just a short-term missions agency. Awe Star is a discipleship and evangelism ministry that mobilizes high school and college-aged students, as well as medical professionals, training and equipping them to walk out the lifestyle of a missionary and to do Jesus ministry around the world.
For more than 25 years, Awe Star has called student missionaries to a rite of passage, challenging those as young as 13 years old to step out of their adolescence and into adulthood by recognizing their role in the Great Commission. Awe Star has a passion not only to train students but also to mobilize medical professionals in areas of the world least reached by the gospel. We use chronological Bible storytelling and medicine as our means to share His truth with those who may never hear.
The staff at Awe Star gathers every morning for prayer and asks God to move ginormous mountains, raise up laborers from each corner of the globe and provide audacious funds to do what to the naked eye seem like impossible tasks in fulfilling the Great Commission.
May I share something with you? He is doing it! He is raising laborers. He is moving mountains. He is demolishing Jericho walls. And He is providing supernaturally for His kingdom work!
I sit amazed every day that I get to be a part of such an incredible opportunity. Literally my job description is to evangelize the planet! I don't want to keep this to myself!
God has created us for community. He has created the church to lock arms and join in ushering in His return.
So I'm writing to you today to ask, will you join me? Will you partner with us in fulfilling the Great Commission?
We are asking for 100 people who will commit to give $25 or more a month to Awe Star Missions.
Before our eyes, God is raising up a generation to usher in the return of Christ.
Will you lock arms and join us in this daunting task?
A part of this challenge involves asking God to call out courageous people who will give their time, their talents and their treasures to ensure the gospel advances to every nation, every tribe, every tongue and every people.
We desire more Bibles to be placed in the hands of those who have never owned one and more medicine to be supplied to cover wounds, eliminate pain and restore health to those who do not have access to such care.
Our prayer is that Jesus will be shared with those who have never heard or been given an invitation, personally, in their own language, for an opportunity to know and receive Jesus!
Will you join us in this #TwentyFiveChallenge?
100 people committing to $25 a month.
As you read, PRAY and ask God if He wants you to join Him in investing in His return!
To give, simply follow the link below and click the box labeled "monthly donation."
All for His Glory,
Awe Star Missions